Sunday, April 18, 2010

Not much of an update...

So not much of an update here really... it's been a few days since I was remapped. I am currently on progressive map #3 (out of 4, which is the loudest program). I still hear a high pitch hum when I wear the new "ear." It's hard to say if the hum is coming from the map that I am hearing with, or if my hearing with the new processor causes the hum, or tinnitus, to occur. The reason i'm not sure is because as soon as I turn the new processor off, the tinnitus immediately changes tonal quality and then dies down, and completely goes away.

I've been trying different situations out though. I've been listening to music, and I still enjoy it the way I used too. It's not like i've been missing the hearing aid. I don't feel like I wish I didn't get this processor because the hearing aid provided something. I definitely do not feel that way at all.

I was in the car with Jason and I asked him to stop clicking whatever it was that he was clicking. He turned to me and said that it wasn't him making a clicking sound, but rather, I was hearing the windshield wiper fluid swish back and forth in it's canister! It's amazing at the different sounds I can hear. I was able to say "God Bless You" when Jace sneezed in a different room!

At work, when I was testing a patient, I was wearing headphones while doing word recognition testing, and I could hear the CD announce the words through the headphones! I also went out with a bunch of people from work twice this week, and I also felt I was able to follow along with a majority of the conversation and not miss out. I'm not sure if I would have done that much differently with just the one implant or the one implant plus hearing aid.

All I can say for sure right now is that I'm definitely glad I'm back on the air with two "ears" as I feel much more balanced and more comfortable. It's amazing how much input I get from the 2nd ear though. When I listen to myself speak, I hear my voice mostly from the new implant. It's incredible!

Anyhow... enough about that! I've had a great weekend, with LOTS of food! I need to get back on the WW wagon and get some exercise in. I was doing so well with the scale, however, after this weekend, I have definitely done some damage! I have a tapeworm I swear! I just want to EAT, EAT, EAT! It's okay though, I know I'm itching to get back to the gym and will do so tomorrow! However, later on today, I'm going to my parents, for a very belated St. Patrick's Day corned beef and cabbage dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment