Tuesday, April 27, 2010

MyLink+

Got the MyLink+ yesterday, and started using it today. I was glad that it came fully charged from Phonak. I started using it today with my patients for word recognition. It was kind've cumbersome. The Cochlear Freedom has an awesome integrated FM receiver built into the battery rack. The Freedom processor recognizes the receiver and automatically syncs to the FM transmitter.

With the Nucleus 5, I now have to use the t-coil to connect to the MyLink which is able to receive the input from the FM transmitter. The t-coil can be problematic because I can't stay in the t-coil mode (even though I have 1:1 ratio), because I will pick up interference when I walk near certain pieces of equipment and so forth. I also have to turn the MyLink off because the booklet didn't tell me how the battery will last if I keep it on all day. Because I want to preserve the life, i'm been shutting it off. However, it's tucked under my shirt, so I keep having to go under my tie and turning it. The process goes where I have to turn the t-coil on, then turn on the MyLink, then turn on the FM transmitter. I have to do this in that order. If I turn the t-coil off, and then back, I then have to turn the MyLink off, and then back on again, and then turn the FM transmitter on. With the Freedom, all I have to do is just turn the processor on with the integrated battery/receiver, and I can continue to turn the FM transmitter on and off, and have it work as it should.

Overall, there is a lot more steps involved to getting up and running with the FM.

However, now that I went through that whole saga... the sound quality is great! It's great to be able to hear out of both ears now! The sound quality seems richer and more full. Another success with going bilateral!

No comments:

Post a Comment